Thursday, February 13, 2014

Almost done with my unkown, ready to start the research project.


This week I made great progress in my unknown and unknown contaminant research. I concluded the msa test on both my microbe and the contaminant and found that they are different bacteria. I did notice that the unknown given to me fully turned the msa agar to yellow showing that it was positive for acid. However the unknown contaminant did not have the same results and did not show signs of acid fermentation. My unknown is defiantly Staphylococcus aureus and needs no further testing. The contaminant found on my original streak plate showed negative for acid in the msa test and needs to go through a tsi and lactose test. I believe the bacteria that contaminated my sample is Staphylococcus epidermidis but I will not know for sure until next week. As for my research project I have found the materials needed to complete the research and I hope to start setting up the experiment next week. Getting a control group of seeds planted is my first step then adding endophytes in different amounts will to each plant will show how the plant microbiome can have an effect on the overall health and production of the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment