Thursday, November 20, 2014
One of my agar's has continued to grow and is looking like it could be an Endophtye but I am not going to hold my breath. It looks like just colonies of fungi have grown and no other microbes seem to be present on the plate, which is the hardest part so far this projects, getting an isolated microbe to test on. The rough draft due this week was just that very very rough and incomplete. I am feeling the stress of not having enough conclusive data by the end of the semester to conclude my research and answer the question for my experiment. I think I have had many successes in the last few weeks but still nothing in the way of fungal growth. I am almost positive that one of the bacteria I was able to isolate is an endophyte but I was not trying to isolate a bacterial endophyte to begin with. Fungal endophytes are much more selective and hard to grow. I am going back to the beginning to see if the grass i am using in fact has fungal endophytes in it. I will use a process of staining extremely thin slices of grass with Anil blue to identify if the grass is in fact infected with fungus. If all goes correctly it should look something like this.
Friday, November 14, 2014
Last week the pressure of the semester really started to weigh on me and then before I realized it the week was over and it was time for a Friday fun day. Field trip with the other interns to Dreamy Draw park for a little lesson on navigation, latitude, longitude, and coordinates. There was a very interesting talk on ephemeral drainage, and the conspiracy theory that alien crash sites have been covered up in those hills. I went to hide a geocache for the first time and think we found a great spot.
Thursday, October 30, 2014
To all of the hard working mentors and students in the program, have a great and happy holiday. This week in lab I have made yet another media to try and isolate these fungal cells. In my research I found an interesting article talking about endophytes actually giving plants tolerance to pollutants in the air, like from automobiles. I am amazed at how symbiotic these relationships are between endophytes and plants and just how much each one can gain from each other. The malt extract I am using is going to require 20 grams of malt extract and 9 grams of agar solution as a standard from the dichotomous key I am using.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
I will have to admit even with all the stresses of life weighing me down, the time spent in lab and with the great minds that encompass that area has been a centering point for thought, laughter, and of course some science work. I am thankful for all the joy this class brings me. Now with that said I made corn meal agar and will make malt extract agar this week to go along with the new dicotomist key we found. That way I can see if the microbes I have isolated are in fact endophytes. These media should help differentiate and help isolate the fungus I am looking for. Untill next week here is a video for your enjoyment.