Thursday, November 20, 2014

Rought draght was rough

One of my agar's has continued to grow and is looking like it could be an Endophtye but I am not going to hold my breath. It looks like just colonies of fungi have grown and no other microbes seem to be present on the plate, which is the hardest part so far this projects, getting an isolated microbe to test on. The rough draft due this week was just that very very rough and incomplete. I am feeling the stress of not having enough conclusive data by the end of the semester to conclude my research and answer the question for my experiment. I think I have had many successes in the last few weeks but still nothing in the way of fungal growth. I am almost positive that one of the bacteria I was able to isolate is an endophyte but I was not trying to isolate a bacterial endophyte to begin with. Fungal endophytes are much more selective and hard to grow. I am going back to the beginning to see if the grass i am using in fact has fungal endophytes in it. I will use a process of staining extremely thin slices of grass with Anil blue to identify if the grass is in fact infected with fungus. If all goes correctly it should look something like this.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment