Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Grass is growing

My grass is growing great already and next week I will start doing some of the process to find and isolate any microbes within the plants microbiome. Last semester I simply tried rubbing the blades of grass on a TSA plate and waited to see what microbes grew. This semester I found an article on an extraction method for endophytes that used ethanol to sterilize the surface of the plant and then with a mortar and pistol ground the matter in to fine particles and started streaking from there on to a selected media.

The grass seed that I ground up and started streaking last week only produced microbes on one of four of the agars I tested. The TSA plate #2 grew 7 different colonies of microbes for re-isolation and testing. I am first going to grow the unknown microbes in a TSB before attempting to isolate any further. I plan on starting the gram stains and re-streaks of the unknown microbes this week.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment